To hybrid or not to hybrid

"To hybrid or not to hybrid.  That is the question."

I am going to first say that shopping for hybrid cars is more exhausting than shopping for cars in general.  And any of you who have shopped for a car at any point in your lives will attest to the fact that it can spin your head round and round and that perfect car calls out to you and you start to go crazy and really can't make any sort of decision right away.  It's akin to the feeling you would have after flying in an aeroplane for half a day.  The difference is, if you're in an aeroplane, you could be going on vacation in which case you have something relaxing to look forward to, which with a new car, I suppose that could be like having something relaxing to look forward to, but then there's customs to get through, long lines of customs until you get to your final destination: the all inclusive resort. 

So anyway, I decided to do my homework last night.  It's a nifty thing to be able to go online and shop for cars and see what's in stock at your local and surrounding car dealerships, complete with photos, specs, price, ability to offer a quote, value your trade-in, the whole lot.  I'm glad I did.  This made me prepared to some extent and I was able to ask pertinent questions and look as though I knew what I was talking about.  I went onto the car lot feeling pretty self assured.

I left feeling even more assured (notice I switched self assured to just assured).  I knew what I wanted, a hybrid, same as when I came into the Ford lot.  I wanted to look at the Ford Fussion and the Ford Escape hybrids.  Both nice, but the Ford Escape Hybrid blew me away.  The only thing I didn't like about it was that I wasn't used to the fact that the break looked and felt like a break pedal but was really a button, like a computer keyboard key, and so your foot needs to act like a finger.   This was weird.

The cost?  35,000 US dollars minimum.  And they would NOT make a deal on the hybrids because there weren't that many made and they are desirable (nah-duh).  Well I can tell you one thing, unfortunately hybrids were out of my budget.  =(  So what to do?  What to do?  There were no other hybrid cars I trusted or that were worth having that would accommodate five children that were growing adult sized by the minute.  (Did I mention my 10 year old daughter wears a size 8 1/2 woman's shoe?  Same size as me?)  Yeah, I need a decent size, and I need a decent price.

Comments

Popular Posts